Subject: Re: bug#34787: New defcustom to govern TAB completion

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 07:29:52 +0200

Alex Branham <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri 08 Mar 2019 at 12:21, Alex Branham <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> @@ -139,7 +161,8 @@ prefix argument is ignored."
>>     (t
>>      (let ((old-tick (buffer-chars-modified-tick))
>>            (old-point (point))
>> -	  (old-indent (current-indentation)))
>> +	  (old-indent (current-indentation))
>> +          (syn (syntax-after (point))))
>              ^^^^^ should be (syn `(,(syntax-after (point))))
>
> I accidentally sent the wrong patch; this part needs to be quoted.

I played around with this a bit, and it seems to work very well, and
quite naturally.  So I've applied this to Emacs 28.

Noam made the suggestion of making this a list of values like (word
paren) instead of word-or-paren, and that does seem like a good idea,
but either works.  I guess somebody might want (word punct) and not
word-and-paren-and-punct, for instance?  So if somebody were to change
this to work that way instead, I wouldn't mind, but I think it's
probably fine as is.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no