Subject: bug#34787: New defcustom to govern TAB completion

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2019 21:50:11 -0400

Alex Branham <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sat 25 May 2019 at 08:37, Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Alex Branham <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> As a quick reminder/TLDR - the proposal is to add a defcustom that
>>> governs whether TAB offers completion when hit the first time. The
>>> thinking is that if point is in the middle of a word, you may not want
>>> completion.
>>
>> How would it interact with the existing tab-always-indent?  Would it
>> make sense to combine them?
>
> The way we have it in ESS currently is that they're two separate
> variables. One (our version of tab-always-indent) governs whether TAB
> offers completion and another (what I'm proposing adding to Emacs)
> governs whether the first press of TAB should offer completion based on
> context.

Oh, I see, it only affects people who have already customized
tab-always-indent to a non-default value (specifically, `complete').

So I guess the idea is that (setq tab-always-indent 'complete) triggers
too many accidental completions to be a reasonable setting?  I think it
would be nicer if the option's values could be `(word paren)', `(word
paren punct) instead of `word-or-paren', `word-or-paren-or-punct', etc.