Subject: GNU parted 3.2 strange behavior

From: Richard Szibele <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 09:31:59 +0100

Hello,

I'm currently working on a wrapper library to automate GNU parted. I'm 
currently writing the integration tests for my library and I noticed 
some strange behavior that I can't seem to figure out if it's intended 
or not.

1. When running `parted /dev/sda --script -- mkpart "ext4" 1MB 100MB` 
parted automatically assigns "ext4" as the name of the partition. I 
assume this is a bug?
2. When running `parted /dev/sda --script -- name 1 ""` parted seems to 
ignore the empty string, so I am unable to remove the name. If I run the 
command manually without "--script" it asks me for the name and after 
pressing enter, it doesn't remove it. Is there a way to remove a name 
from a partition?

The mkpart command seems to also require different arguments depending 
on the partition table of the disk, but the manual doesn't mention the 
parameters required for each of the partition tables.

Best regards,
Richard Szibele