Subject: Re: bug#3478: Error in set-default-font

From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 22:11:54 +0800

reassign 3478 emacs,w32
found 3478 22.3
notfound 3478 23.0.94
tags 3478 wontfix
thanks

Mickey Ferguson wrote:
> When I execute the following two lines of code:
>
>   (set-default-font
>    "-raster-Terminal-bold-r-normal-normal-12-90-96-96-c-*-ms-oemlatin")
>
> emacs changes the size of the window (frame) so that it no longer
> displays 80 columns.

This seems to be caused by the fact that there is no font that exactly 
matches that name (at least on my install of Windows XP).
There are two non-bold versions of Terminal font at 12 pixels height, 
and a bold version 8 pixels high.
Emacs 21 and 22 choose a non-bold 12 point version, but because of the 
wildcard in the width field, they end up confused about the width - the 
frame width seems to be set based on the ...-c-70-ms-oemlatin version, 
while the font used for display is the ...-c-50-ms-oemlatin version. 
Emacs 22 confuses things further by using a synthesized bold version of 
the font, which messes up display further.

Due to a complete rewrite of the font handling code, Emacs 23 chooses 
the 8 pixel high bold font, and displays consistently.  I don't think 
there is anything further needed to fix this, but thanks for reporting it.