Subject: Re: bug#34765: 26.1; with-temp-buffer should not run buffer-list-update-hook

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 13:36:14 +0300

> From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked],
>  Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 11:21:45 +0200
> 
> Stefan asked me to add a variable 'inhibit-buffer-list-update-hook'
> and I came up with the attached.  WDYT?

Did he also ask you to remove the inhibit_buffer_hooks flag of the
buffer object?  I'd rather prefer that you set that flag for temporary
buffers.  In any case, removing the flag will get back the problem
with hidden buffers used by coding.c, right?  I don't want to lose
that.

More generally, I don't understand the need for this variable.  If we
just want to inhibit the hooks for temporary buffers, we don't need to
provide a variable, we can do that internally and unconditionally.
The variable assumes there are other legitimate use cases where a Lisp
program would want to inhibit the hooks, and that we agree to let Lisp
programs do that.  What are those use cases?