Subject: Re: bug#34765: 26.1; with-temp-buffer should not run buffer-list-update-hook

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2019 09:29:34 +0100

>  > And do not preserve NORECORD?
 >
 > They did.

So what was the problem there?  How did 'buffer-list-update-hook' get
invoked in such a wild manner?

 > It didn't. IIRC a temp buffer was created 2 or 3 times every time
 > I would move point.

This alone qualifies as a bug IMHO.

 > The problem is that this *somehow* triggered a
 > feedback loop with treemacs and magit feeding off each other. I
 > haven't really understood what happened there as that would require
 > some very deep digging inside magit's internals.

I think that creating a new temporary buffer should always be the
exception and never the rule.  Does the point moving happen in the
treemacs buffer or in that of a plain (probably git-controlled)
buffer?

 > There's a recipe for
 > emacs -q in the github issue if you want to see this for yourself.

Can you pass me a corresponding URL?

 >  > I see. But please try 'window-selection-change-functions'
 >  > sooner or later so we know whether it fixes these problems.
 >
 > Way ahead of you ;)
 > https://github.com/Alexander-Miller/treemacs/issues/321

Aha.

martin