Subject: Re: bug#34765: 26.1; with-temp-buffer should not run buffer-list-update-hook

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 13:06:13 +0200

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

> I attach a preliminary patch.

[...]

> +DEFUN ("generate-new-buffer", Fgenerate_new_buffer, Sgenerate_new_buffer,
> +       1, 2, 0,
> +       doc: /* Create and return a buffer with a name based on NAME.
> +Choose the buffer's name using `generate-new-buffer-name'.
> +
> +Optional second argument INHIBIT-BUFFER-HOOKS non-nil means to not run
> +any buffer hooks ('kill-buffer-hook', 'buffer-list-update-hook' or
> +'kill-buffer-query-functions') for this buffer.  This argument should
> +be set only for internal buffers that are never presented to users or
> +passed on to other applications.  */)

Reading this thread, it seemed like everybody agreed that this patch (in
itself) was a good change, and then the discussion turned to other ways
of specifying "internal" Emacs buffers (that shouldn't have the hooks
run as well, as double-spacing "  *temp*", etc).

The latter may be a nice addition, but the patch here is pretty much
necessary for implementing something like that, so was there any reason
the patch wasn't applied?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no