Subject: Re: bug#34763: 27.0.50; url-retrieve-synchronously misbehaves inside eldoc-documentation-function

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2019 16:29:24 +0300

On 04.04.2019 16:04, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> If that's the intent, why does it need to explicitly quit in Lisp?
> Just letting the code leave the form where inhibit-quit is non-nil
> will let Emacs quit at the first opportunity, with no need for any
> Lisp code for that.

Because accept-process-output doesn't abort on user input? And 
url-retrieve-synchronously calls it with 1 second timeout (which is a 
fairly long wait).

I wonder if the original author remembers the idea, now 15 years after 
the code was submitted.

We can try removing the 'error' calls and see if things improve, but:

1. I guess we'll also need to wrap the accept-process-output call in 
while-no-input. And concerns?

2. I wonder if there are cases where some part of the asynchronous code 
takes too long, where it should be allowed to be aborted by the user 
right away. Meaning when url-retrieve is used, not 
url-retrieve-synchronously.