Subject: bug#34763: 27.0.50; url-retrieve-synchronously misbehaves inside eldoc-documentation-function

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 22:05:59 +0200

On 12.03.2019 20:00, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Isn't the above expected, given the recipe?  You are initiating an
> HTTP retrieval inside while-no-input, and then provide input which
> aborts the retrieval.  What else can we expect from this code?

I'm looking at two distinct things at once:

- The requests to be aborted in time without extra stutters or alarming 
messages.
- The requests to complete promptly enough if I don't abort them. E.g. 
type 'a' and just wait for "done" to show up in the echo area.

The scenario I described triggers, in my testing, problems in both of 
them. The first item seems fixed with your patch.

The second is more or less unchanged. It's fairly likely an orthogonal 
problem, and this is just the way I've found to trigger it. I can file a 
new report, if you like.

To reiterate, the way to reproduce the problem:

- Evaluate the file attached to the report and do some typing, as though 
to reproduce the first problem.

- Continue typing, pause from time to time and wait for "done" to show 
up in the echo area. After a little while, it will stop arriving, 
because the requests will stall for some reason.