Subject: bug#34763: closed (Re: bug#34763: 27.0.50; url-retrieve-synchronously misbehaves inside eldoc-documentation-function)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 01:03:02 +0000

Your bug report

#34763: 27.0.50; url-retrieve-synchronously misbehaves inside eldoc-documentation-function

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
34763: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34763
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#34763: 27.0.50; url-retrieve-synchronously misbehaves inside eldoc-documentation-function
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 May 2019 04:02:41 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 15.05.2019 8:16, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Indeed; that function is a mess...
> 
> But reading through this bug report, it seems as if the bug you
> experienced was fixed?

Yes, it seems so. I have a much older report about a similar problem 
(predating Emacs 27's eldoc changes), but I can't reproduce anything 
like that anymore.

> Should this bug report be closed?

Here's hoping we'll get around to fixing url-retrieve-synchronously one day.

Closing, thanks all!

Subject: 27.0.50; url-retrieve-synchronously misbehaves inside eldoc-documentation-function
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 23:34:08 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. Evaluate the attached .el file.

2. Start typing, randomly and with certain pauses, trying to align the
interval to the "Contacting host" messages.

At first, Emacs is responsive, and the requests are duly aborted, like
'while-no-input' obliges them to. A little bit later (maybe 10-30
seconds later), I see errors like "Transfer interrupted", and Emacs
stutters when that happens. Later on, any HTTP request to the same host
freezes Emacs until I press C-g. The attached screenshot shows the
messages log and the list of processes at the end.

I guessing this became much easier to trigger with
12e922156c86a26fa4bb2cb9e7d2b3fd639e4707 when eldoc started using
when-no-input. But whatever underlying problem is there in url-http,
it's probably been there longer.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 20, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
  of 2019-03-05 built on zappa
Repository revision: 9b93e3b0759d562989283eaecf32e075f984c18c
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12001000
System Description: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS