Subject: [bug#34758] [PATCH 2/4] gnu: Add vhba.

From: Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 09:35:34 +0100

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

>> This raises a general, important question: how do we build kernel
>> modules on guix?  At the moment, it seems that it's only possible by
>> re-building the kernel.
>
> … or maybe just unpacking the kernel source so you have the makefile
> snippet around?  Perhaps that’s enough?

Nope, because we need the "build" folder which is only available after
building the kernel.  Re-building the kernel just to build a module
sounds like a waste of time :p

> I’m generally dubious about out-of-tree modules.  Given the way kernel
> development works, we’re often talking about modules of poor quality, or
> proprietary modules.  Do you know the reason this one is not in the main
> tree?

I don't.  I'll investigate a bit.

Anyways, I think it's nice as a _free software distribution_ to make it
accessible to the user to build custom modules.

>> I suggest we add a "build" output to the kernel  that can be used as an
>> input to build kernel modules.  Maybe I should should an email to
>> guix-devel to ask for more opinions / advice. 
>
> Yes, sounds like a good idea.

Will do!

-- 
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/