Subject: [bug#34758] [PATCH 2/4] gnu: Add vhba.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 15:52:03 +0100

Hello,

Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I should have explained a little bit more: the whole patchset makes no
> sense (beside libmirage) without this kernel module.  CDEmu needs it or
> it won't run.

Oh I see, I didn’t know that.

> This raises a general, important question: how do we build kernel
> modules on guix?  At the moment, it seems that it's only possible by
> re-building the kernel.

… or maybe just unpacking the kernel source so you have the makefile
snippet around?  Perhaps that’s enough?

I’m generally dubious about out-of-tree modules.  Given the way kernel
development works, we’re often talking about modules of poor quality, or
proprietary modules.  Do you know the reason this one is not in the main
tree?

> I suggest we add a "build" output to the kernel  that can be used as an
> input to build kernel modules.  Maybe I should should an email to
> guix-devel to ask for more opinions / advice. 

Yes, sounds like a good idea.

Thanks,
Ludo’.