Subject: [bug#34729] [PATCH v2 core-updates] gnu: libgit2: Avoid Python.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 22:38:07 +0100

Hi Danny,

AFAICS changes to libgit2 can go to master.

Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * gnu/packages/patches/libgit2-avoid-python.patch: New file.
> * gnu/local.mk (dist_patch_DATA): Add it.
> * gnu/packages/version-control.scm (libgit2)[source]: Use it.
> [inputs]: Remove python.
> [native-inputs]: Add guile-2.2.

So the goal is to remove Python from libgit2’s *build-time*
dependencies, right?  (Python is not a run-time dependency for libgit2
according to ‘guix size libgit2’.)  Can you explain a bit more?  :-)

> +--- orig/libgit2-0.27.7/tests/generate.scm	1970-01-01 01:00:00.000000000 +0100
> ++++ libgit2-0.27.7/tests/generate.scm	2019-03-04 12:18:00.688040975 +0100
> +@@ -0,0 +1,277 @@
> ++;; -*- geiser-scheme-implementation: guile -*-
> ++
> ++;;; Implementation: Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
> ++;;; Based on: Implementation in Python by Vicent Marti.
> ++;;; License: ISC, like the original generate.py in clar.

This is really cool, but at the same time I feel like we’d rather have a
compelling reason to start maintaining a parallel implementation of
their test suite machinery.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.