Subject: Re: bug#34726: epa-insert-keys

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2019 10:33:10 +0100

>>>>> On Wed, 06 Mar 2019 22:38:02 -0500, Richard Stallman <[email-masked]> said:
    rms> Thanks for finding that.  I would not have had an easy time
    rms> finding it myself.

I had some trouble finding it myself.

    >> +This will display a list of keys with their validity status,
    >> +keyid, and associated name.  See 'TRUST VALUES' in the gpg
    >> +documentation

    rms> That is too vague to be helpful.  It tells the reader to
    rms> search for some other publication, and doesn't even say
    rms> precisely what publication or what its name is -- let alone
    rms> where to look.

The gpg documentation can be a man page or an info manual, plus there
are html and pdf version of the same documentation available from the
gpg website. We could just point people at

<https://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg/Trust-Values.html>

    rms> I think we should include a cleaned-up and clarified version
    rms> of this table in those two commands' doc strings.

Thatʼs not a path Iʼd want to go down. The gpg documentation is long
and complex, because itʼs a complex program. Attempting to summarise
it in a few docstrings will result in incomplete or possibly incorrect
information, Iʼd rather people read the original.

Robert