Subject: Re: bug#34720: 26.1; Reverting a GPG buffer moves all markers to the end of the file

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 11:48:07 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> So the fix here is to make epa follow the same logic, perhaps?  That is,
>> first get the text we're supposed to insert, then compare with the data
>> in the buffer, and only start replacing at the point where we find the
>> first difference?
>
> You want to replace the insert-file-contents with custom-tailored Lisp
> code?  Even if possible and efficient enough, this would be a
> specialized solution for only a single use case.  Right?  Other use
> cases, with other insert-file-contents handlers, will each one have to
> have their separate custom solutions, right?  All that just to keep
> markers intact?

It's a problem common to all the insert-file-content handlers, I think?
Now that I understand what the problem is (i.e., "don't replace the text
at the start of the buffer with identical text"), I think fixing this in
the epa case should hopefully be easy enough, and perhaps something more
general can be extracted from that solution.  Which I have not written
yet, so we'll see.  :-)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no