Subject: bug#34720: 26.1; Reverting a GPG buffer moves all markers to the end of the file

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 13:20:24 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 11:15:29 +0200
> 
> The reason the other markers magically survive Finsert_file_contents is
> because that function takes care not to replace any text in the buffer
> that's identical to the text already there?  So the text isn't deleted,
> the markers stay where they are, and everything works nice.

Right.

> So the fix here is to make epa follow the same logic, perhaps?  That is,
> first get the text we're supposed to insert, then compare with the data
> in the buffer, and only start replacing at the point where we find the
> first difference?

You want to replace the insert-file-contents with custom-tailored Lisp
code?  Even if possible and efficient enough, this would be a
specialized solution for only a single use case.  Right?  Other use
cases, with other insert-file-contents handlers, will each one have to
have their separate custom solutions, right?  All that just to keep
markers intact?