Subject: bug#34711: 26.1.92; eww-mode displays \327 whereas firefox displays × symbol

From: Van L <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2019 00:59:14 +1100

1. emacs -Q
2. M-x eww RET
   http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/macros-standard-control-constructs.html
3. find line having: to print out the times tables
4. see: to print out the times tables from 1 \327 1
5. note: that \327 between 1 and 1; that should be 1 × 1 as seen in firefox
6. note: that colorised red \327 is said to be unprintable when trying to email

In GNU Emacs 26.1.92 (build 2, x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0, X toolkit)
of 2019-02-27 built on XXX.XXX
Repository revision: 4c6d17afe1251ddc7f5113991d8e914571f76ecf
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11804000
Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Using a proxy for http...
Contacting host: www.gigamonkeys.com:80
Mark saved where search started
Making completion list... [2 times]

Configured using:
'configure --target x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0
--prefix=/Users/XXX/opt/share/build/emacs
--exec-prefix=/Users/XXX/opt/share/build/emacs-macos
--with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-mailutils --without-imagemagick
--without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-sound=no --with-dbus
--without-gsettings --without-selinux --without-zlib
--without-compress-install --with-x --disable-ns-self-contained
--without-ns --with-jpeg=no --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM PNG RSVG DBUS GLIB NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT
LUCID X11 XDBE XIM THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_AU.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: C
  value of $LANG: en_AU.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: eww

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail misearch multi-isearch
network-stream starttls url-http tls gnutls mail-parse rfc2231 url-gw
nsm rmc url-cache url-auth eww easymenu puny mm-url gnus nnheader
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils
wid-edit mm-util mail-prsvr url-queue url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache url-vars mailcap shr svg xml seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv dom browse-url format-spec cl-loaddefs cl-lib
elec-pair time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind kqueue
dynamic-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 144759 10856)
(symbols 48 23523 2)
(miscs 40 64 198)
(strings 32 39009 1291)
(string-bytes 1 1093883)
(vectors 16 17942)
(vector-slots 8 553947 11664)
(floats 8 75 194)
(intervals 56 8405 12)
(buffers 992 13))