Subject: bug#3471: closed (Re: bug#3471: 23.0.94; linum-mode and invisible lines)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 22:35:02 +0000

Your bug report

#3471: 23.0.94; linum-mode and invisible lines

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
3471: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=3471
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#3471: 23.0.94; linum-mode and invisible lines
From: Nicolas Petton <[email-masked]>
To: Leo <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 00:34:26 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Leo <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Leo,

> In buffers where many many lines are invisible, enabling linum-mode
> would take a long time and C-g won't be able to stop it.
>
> More specifically, I use magit to manage a small git repo, its status
> buffer at the moment has 11850 lines (buffer size 366524) with only <
> 100 lines visible. Running linum-mode on it would freeze emacs for a few
> minutes on a intel core duo 2.0G machine.

This bug report is pretty, and I cannot reproduce it on a recent build
of Emacs:

- open a magit status buffer with large uncommitted changes (234000
  lines)
- Evaluate `linum-mode'

The result is instantaneous with Emacs built from master today, on a 2nd
Gen Intel i5 (i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz).

I'm closing this ticket, and while I can't reproduce the issue, feel
free to reopen this ticket if you can.

Cheers,
Nico

Subject: 23.0.94; linum-mode and invisible lines
From: Leo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Markus Triska <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 03:35:23 +0100

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

In buffers where many many lines are invisible, enabling linum-mode
would take a long time and C-g won't be able to stop it.

More specifically, I use magit to manage a small git repo, its status
buffer at the moment has 11850 lines (buffer size 366524) with only <
100 lines visible. Running linum-mode on it would freeze emacs for a few
minutes on a intel core duo 2.0G machine. It looks like linum has wasted
a lot of time on invisible lines. Is that necessary?

Although I'm aware that I can work around it by setting
line-number-display-limit but my feeling is linum is doing something
inefficiently.

GNU Emacs 23.0.94.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.7.0, NS apple-appkit-949.46) of
 2009-05-23 on 200.sub-75-216-116.myvzw.com

Thanks.

Leo