Subject: Re: bug#34707: Failure to find the associated pdump file

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2019 21:58:54 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

load_pdump returns to main with PDUMPER_LOAD_FILE_NOT_FOUND.
I do not see any code there that ought to exit with an error message.
If there is some, where is it?

So main continues and tries to initialize Emacs.

Don't we want this?

    #ifdef HAVE_PDUMPER
      if (attempt_load_pdump)
	{
	  load_pdump (argc, argv);
	  fatal ("cannot find portable dumper memory file");
	}
    #endif

However, it should show the file name it looked for.
Why is it useful for load_pdump return if it fails?

Regarding the secondary bug:

  > If Emacs already set up the terminal,

It has not done so yet.

					  then I think it did find the
  > pdump file and loaded it successfully, because loading the pdump file
  > happens before the call to init_display.

main continues and calls init_display.

That gets to init_display_interactive, which calls init_tty at line 6138.
That turns off echo, right?  Then it calls init_faces_initial at line 6193,
which tries to call tty-set-up-initial-frame-faces.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)