Subject: 26.1; Emacs gets stuck when replacing text

From: Daniel Hernandez <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 20:16:55 -0300

Exactly after pressing M-% to replace text, Emacs gets stuck. The emacs
process was using 90% of the CPU until I killed the process.  The
problem started when I customize the font. If I comment the lines that
Custom added to the ".emacs" file, then the problem disappeared.

The lines added by Custom are the following:

(custom-set-faces
 ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
 ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
 ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
 '(default ((t (:family "Inconsolata" :foundry "unknown" :slant
 normal :weight normal :height 128 :width normal)))))

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2019-02-14 built on canelo
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela

Recent messages:
Wrote /home/daniel/*message*-20190228-194721
Mark set
Saving file /home/daniel/.emacs...
Wrote /home/daniel/.emacs [2 times]
Sending...
Mark set [2 times]
Sending via mail...
Sending...done
next-line: End of buffer [3 times]
previous-line: Beginning of buffer
next-line: End of buffer
Configured using:
 'configure --with-mailutils'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: es_CL.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: es_CL.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(mailalias mailclient browse-url cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit
help-mode pp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg gnus-util
rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils elec-pair tango-dark-theme finder-inf
d-mode-autoloads tex-site markdown-mode-autoloads info package easymenu
epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win
x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 146020 19963)
 (symbols 48 24194 2)
 (miscs 40 121 187)
 (strings 32 40397 1608)
 (string-bytes 1 1124254)
 (vectors 16 18662)
 (vector-slots 8 541854 9664)
 (floats 8 66 297)
 (intervals 56 580 0)
 (buffers 992 16)
 (heap 1024 37193 1716))