Subject: bug#34684: 26.1; Strange characters when inserting date

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 20:11:45 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: "Wong, Philip" <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 14:16:25 +0000
>> 
>> When I insert a date by pressing CTRL+C then period then enter I get “<2019-02-28 ¶g¥|>”.
>> 
>> I’m not sure what the strange character is (¶g¥|), can someone help?
>
> Please show a complete recipe, starting from "emacs -Q", to reproduce
> the issue.  When I type "Ctrl-C ." in "emacs -Q", Emacs says that
> sequence is not bound to any command, so I wonder what is needed to
> "insert a date" in your scenario.

>From the output, this is 'org-time-stamp', which produces
<2019-02-28 Thu> here. Based on this in the report:

    Important settings:
      value of $LANG: ZHH
      locale-coding-system: cp1252

Iʼm assuming thereʼs an issue with buffer-file-coding-system or
similar. If I do

LANG=zh_HK src/emacs -Q
(require 'org)
(org-time-stamp) => <2019-02-28 四>

where that character after the date is CJK IDEOGRAPH-56DB

(and now Iʼve exhausted what I know about Asian characters)

Robert