Subject: bug#34678: 26.1; (elisp) `Minor Mode Conventions'

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 11:48:59 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > > I don't see why: cross-references don't have to be symmetrical.

  > Did someone say that cross-references have to be
  > symmetrical?

That point seems to be valid, but "Did someone say that XYZ" attaches
a somewhat aggressive tone to any point.  This point could have been
stated more kindly, like this

  There's no reason for them to be symmetrical in general, but I think
  it would be good in this case to have a reference in the other direction.

On the general issue, rather than arguing with the claim that someone
disagreed, this approach agrees.  Then it leads the discussion out of
the tangent and back to the specific question at hand.

Please read https://gnu.org/philosophy/kind-communication-guidelines.html
if you haven't read it recently.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)