Subject: Re: bug#34663: remove ftx font backend

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 20:06:21 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Btw, I think we should remove admin/notes/font-backend instead of
> continuing its maintenance.  It is already outdated, and I don't
> really see how it could be useful even if we update it to mention
> HarfBuzz etc.

OK.  I've attached a patch.

Do you want this installed on master or the release branch?

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

>From 29c96f8ace3bf07d5c1b64f544069b773104edd3 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 20:01:25 +0100
Subject: [PATCH] * admin/notes/font-backend: Remove outdated file. 
 (Bug#34663)

---
 admin/notes/font-backend | 67 ----------------------------------------
 1 file changed, 67 deletions(-)
 delete mode 100644 admin/notes/font-backend

diff --git a/admin/notes/font-backend b/admin/notes/font-backend
deleted file mode 100644
index 644bacfbef..0000000000
--- a/admin/notes/font-backend
+++ /dev/null
@@ -1,67 +0,0 @@
-Copyright (C) 2002-2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
-See the end of the file for license conditions.
-
-
-New font handling mechanism with font backend method
-----------------------------------------------------
-
-The new files are:
-	font.h -- header providing font-backend related structures
-		(most important ones are "struct font" and "struct
-		font_driver"), macros, and etc.
-	font.c -- main font handling code.
-	xfont.c -- font-driver on X for X core fonts.
-	ftfont.c -- generic font-driver for FreeType fonts providing
-		device-independent methods of struct font_driver.
-	xftfont.c -- font-driver on X using Xft for FreeType fonts
-		utilizing methods provided by ftfont.c.
-	w32font.c -- font driver on w32 using Windows native fonts,
-		corresponding to xfont.c
-	w32uniscribe.c -- font driver on w32, using the uniscribe API
-	        to provide complex script support for opentype fonts on
-		Windows 2000 and later, or earlier versions of Windows
-		with uniscribe installed as an add-on.
-
-So we already have codes for X and w32.  For Mac it seems that we need
-these files:
-	atmfont.c -- font-driver on mac using ATM fonts, corresponding
-		to xfont.c
-As BDF fonts are currently used on w32, we may also implement these:
-	bdffont.c -- generic font-driver for BDF fonts, corresponding to
-		ftfont.c
-	bdfw32font.c -- font-driver on w32 using BDF fonts,
-		corresponding to ftxfont.c
-But, as FreeType already supports BDF fonts, if FreeType and
-Fontconfig are also available on w32, what we need may be:
-	ftw32font.c -- font-driver on w32 directly using FreeType fonts
-		utilizing methods provided by ftfont.c.
-
-It may be interesting if Emacs supports a frame buffer directly and
-has these font driver.
-	ftfbfont.c -- font-driver on FB for FreeType fonts.
-	bdffbfont.c -- font-driver on FB for BDF fonts.
-
-Note: The fontset related codes are not yet matured to work well with
-the font backend method.  So, for instance, even if you start Emacs
-as something like this:
-  % emacs -fn tahoma
-Non-ASCII Latin characters will not be displayed by the font "tahoma".
-In such a case, please try this:
-
-(set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'latin '("tahoma" . "unicode-bmp"))
-
-
-This file is part of GNU Emacs.
-
-GNU Emacs is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
-it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
-the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
-(at your option) any later version.
-
-GNU Emacs is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
-but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
-MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
-GNU General Public License for more details.
-
-You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
-along with GNU Emacs.  If not, see <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
-- 
2.20.1