Subject: Re: bug#3466: 23.0.94; have `d' in debugger treat macro expansion like `c' does

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 04:04:44 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> So here's my test case:
>
> (defun foo ()
>   (dotimes (i 2)
>     (message "foo")))
>
> and `M-x debug-on-entry' on foo, `M-: (foo)', just hitting `d' a lot
> does what I'd expect -- stepping through all the code.  It does not seem
> to step the through the macro expansion itself.  (At least not in Emacs
> 27.1 or 28.)

I also don't understand what Drew writes.  Especially why c would do
something that a repeated d would not get you to, sooner or later.

Drew, did you bind c to something else?  Or had your code been loaded
under some special conditions?  Normally what the debugger steps through
doesn't contain macro calls - even for uncompiled code and even for the
dynamically binding dialect.  So unless you were debugging quoted
lambdas, I'm ... confused.

Michael.