Subject: 26.1; Some erc hook names lack the expected suffix

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 12:54:57 +1300

`erc-before-connect' and `erc-after-connect' are abnormal hooks,
so I think they should each have the suffix "-functions" for
consistency, and so that they are easier to discover.

Is is ok to rename them and defvaralias the old names?

All other erc hooks have the -hook or -functions suffix, so far
as I can see.

For reference:

(defcustom erc-before-connect nil
   "Hook called before connecting to a server.
This hook gets executed before `erc' actually invokes `erc-mode'
with your input data.  The functions in here get called with three
parameters, SERVER, PORT and NICK."
   :group 'erc-hooks
   :type 'hook)

(defcustom erc-after-connect nil
   "Hook called after connecting to a server.
This hook gets executed when an end of MOTD has been received.  All
functions in here get called with the parameters SERVER and NICK."
   :group 'erc-hooks
   :type 'hook)

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw 
scroll bars)
  of 2019-01-07 built on hal
Repository revision: b0b483d714e87ee0a4572f9c541514a1ac1a8226
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 
11.0.11906000
System Description: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Loading erc...done
uncompressing erc.el.gz...done
Mark set

Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/home/phil/emacs/head/usr/local
  --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-sound'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11
XDBE XIM THREADS LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_NZ.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs time-date
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils help-fns radix-tree help-mode easymenu jka-compr find-func
erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat format-spec auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib thingatpt pp
erc-loaddefs dired dired-loaddefs advice elec-pair mule-util tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 119750 7960)
  (symbols 48 22664 1)
  (strings 32 36457 2107)
  (string-bytes 1 986101)
  (vectors 16 18682)
  (vector-slots 8 549648 11634)
  (floats 8 51 66)
  (intervals 56 588 50)
  (buffers 992 15))