Subject: Re: bug#34657: 26.1; Some erc hook names lack the expected suffix

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 18:30:56 +0200

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 00:01:02 +1300
> 
> I've pushed branch fix/bug-34657-erc-hooks for this, and I've used
> define-obsolete-variable-alias, but there are problems with the
> customize behaviour.
> 
> The first annoyance is that in customize-group erc-hooks the alias
> is displayed (albeit slightly differently) as well as the renamed
> option.

Isn't there some precedent for handling this?

If we never did rename a defcustom before, and no simple solution
presents itself, I'd rather drop the idea altogether.  ERC is a niche
package, so it's not a catastrophe if we have exceptions from the rule
here.

Thanks.

(What is the second annoyance?)