Subject: Re: bug#3465: 23.0.94; feature request: be able to log minibuffer messages

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2020 20:34:25 +0200

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> Please read what you just responded to again.
>
> The request is to be able to have `minibuffer-message'
> output logged, WITHOUT calling `message'.

We understand the request, and we have said "no, we're not going to add
that to Emacs".

If you want to do a minibuffer message and log it, you can write your
own function:

(defun minibuffer-message-and-log (&rest args)
  (let ((inhibit-message t))
    (apply #'message args))
  (apply #'minibuffer-message args))

Or whatever.

This seems to be a common thread when you request extending a function
to do something special in one way or another, when that can be done
trivially by just calling two functions instead.

And the rearguard-fighting action when these requests are rejected are
tiresome, to say the least.  Please stop doing it.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no