Subject: bug#3465: 23.0.94; feature request: be able to log minibuffer messages

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2020 15:49:56 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> There's no problem with logging in general.  The request is to also have
>> the messages output by the minibuffer-message function also end up in
>> the *Messages* buffer.
>
> By default?  I'd object to that.  As an option, maybe; but then I
> don't understand why this is requested as a core feature, since any
> Lisp program that wants this can simply call 'message' with the same
> string, and be done.

I thought it would make sense to have that function behave as regularly
as possible...

However, looking at the use cases for minibuffer-message, all of the
in-tree calls are trivial: "Confirm".  "Incomplete".  "Hit space to
flush".  All of those things are UI details that would be surprising to
have land in the *Messages* buffer.

So I agree with Eli, and I don't think this is something that
minibuffer-message should do at all.  If something wants to do a
minibuffer-message and log it, then that thing should just do both.

So I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no