Subject: bug#34648: closed (Re: bug#34648: 26.1; emacs-client: gpm-mouse rejected at daemon launch)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 17:01:02 +0000

Your bug report

#34648: 26.1; emacs-client: gpm-mouse rejected at daemon launch

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
34648: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34648
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#34648: 26.1; emacs-client: gpm-mouse rejected at daemon launch
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Luc Pierard de Maujouy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 17:00:42 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 00:12:07 +0000 (UTC)
>> From: Luc Pierard de Maujouy <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
>>
>> I've just tried in .emacs:
>> (add-hook 'after-make-frame-functions
>>       (lambda (frame)
>>         (when (display-graphic-p frame)  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>           (gpm-mouse-mode t))))
>> Which does nothing.
>
> The display-graphic-p test is wrong: you want GPM on TTY frames, not
> on GUI frames.
>
>> Switching from when to unless trigger the initial error message.
>
> Parse error.

So it seems like the user was trying to do the wrong thing here, and
there has been no updates in 1.5 years.  So I'm going to assume this is
resolved and am therefore closing this bug now.

If this conclusion is incorrect, please reply to this email (use "Reply
to all" in your email client) and we can reopen the bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 26.1; emacs-client: gpm-mouse rejected at daemon launch
From: Luc Pierard de Maujouy <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 11:50:57 +0000 (UTC)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Starting emacs daemon in console as:

emacs -u user -chdir /home/user --fg-daemon=emacs.user --debug-init

outputs:

Loading t-mouse...
Loading t-mouse...done
Error setting gpm-mouse-mode: (error Gpm-mouse only works in the GNU/Linux console)
Starting Emacs daemon.

Consequently mouse won't be usable when connecting to daemon, whereas standalone emacs launched in console has mouse enabled.

Context:

cat /home/user/.emacs

;; Added by Package.el.  This must come before configurations of
;; installed packages.  Don't delete this line.  If you don't want it,
;; just comment it out by adding a semicolon to the start of the line.
;; You may delete these explanatory comments.
(package-initialize)

 (set-background-color "black")
 (set-face-background 'default "black")
 (set-face-background 'region "black")
 (set-face-foreground 'default "white")
 (set-face-foreground 'region "gray60")
 (set-foreground-color "white")
 (set-cursor-color "red")

(setq make-backup-files nil) ; stop creating backup~ files
(setq auto-save-default nil) ; stop creating #autosave# files

(custom-set-variables
 ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
 ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
 ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
 '(gpm-mouse-mode t))

(custom-set-faces
 ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
 ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
 ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
 )

NB: bug reported at https://bugs.gentoo.org/677826
Thks

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2019-02-12 built on asuslpm
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12003000
System Description:    Gentoo Base System release 2.6

Recent messages:
Loading t-mouse...done
Loading xt-mouse...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-silent-rules
 --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-26.1-r3
 --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-26.1-r3/html --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --program-suffix=-emacs-26 --infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-26
 --localstatedir=/var
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --without-compress-install --without-hesiod --without-pop
 --with-file-notification=no --disable-acl --without-dbus
 --without-modules --without-gameuser --with-gpm --without-kerberos
 --without-kerberos5 --without-lcms2 --without-xml2 --without-mailutils
 --without-selinux --without-gnutls --without-libsystemd
 --without-threads --without-wide-int --without-zlib --with-sound=oss
 --with-x --without-ns --without-gconf --without-gsettings
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-gif --without-jpeg --without-png
 --without-rsvg --without-tiff --with-xpm --without-imagemagick
 --with-xft --without-cairo --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt
 --with-x-toolkit=no 'CFLAGS=-march=native -mtune=skylake -O2 -pipe'
 CPPFLAGS= 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,-fuse-ld=bfd -Wl,--enable-new-dtags
 -march=native -mtune=skylake -O2 -pipe''

Configured features:
XPM SOUND GPM FREETYPE XFT OLDXMENU X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  gpm-mouse-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils elec-pair web-mode advice disp-table
xt-mouse t-mouse cus-start cus-load finder-inf package easymenu
epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib site-gentoo time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dynamic-setting font-render-setting x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 127340 11451)
 (symbols 48 23547 1)
 (miscs 40 77 115)
 (strings 32 39253 1295)
 (string-bytes 1 1043338)
 (vectors 16 17583)
 (vector-slots 8 526650 8204)
 (floats 8 60 243)
 (intervals 56 307 0)
 (buffers 992 12))