Subject: bug#34639: 26.1; Custom themes break terminal when switching to org-mode

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2019 22:01:34 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > > Why is it better if people use the display margins via
  > > linum (not core) rather than by an option in native line numbers?
  > > I don't see that it makes much difference to the issues of
  > > future maintenance.

  > It makes a difference because we can tell them to drop linum if they
  > have problems with display margins.  And because we don't have to deal
  > with bug reports about such conflicts.

If we are comparing two options,
(1) Linum mode and
(2) a flag to make native line numbers use the display margins,
I don't see why either one provides advantages over the other
in those two areas.  To me it seems they would be equivalent.

Can you explain why?

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)