Subject: Re: bug#34637: inferiors example yields error from guix package

From: Martin Flack <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 12:33:17 -0800

That said there was no log file, but I've pulled since, so I pulled again
and redid the test.

``
$ guix --version
guix (GNU Guix) 3546e97f38bb4dfa4c016cd7a20d4add277ca8f7
Copyright (C) 2019 the Guix authors
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

$ guix package -n -m example-inferior.scm
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at '
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... \
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://bayfront.guixsd.org'...
100.0%
The following derivation will be built:
   /gnu/store/b5qmqrs7fjd0w7zh5zgm4an21v1alich-profile.drv
The following profile hook will be built:
   /gnu/store/gkhfa4z16x4336pbi1ha7njgdpm680yf-guix-package-cache.drv
/guix package: error: exception thrown: #<condition &store-protocol-error
[message: "build of
`/gnu/store/b5qmqrs7fjd0w7zh5zgm4an21v1alich-profile.drv' failed" status:
100] 4a4c750>

$ guix build --log-file
/gnu/store/b5qmqrs7fjd0w7zh5zgm4an21v1alich-profile.drv
guix build: error: no build log for
'/gnu/store/b5qmqrs7fjd0w7zh5zgm4an21v1alich-profile.drv'
```

There is maybe an extra clue in guix environment output, regarding repl:

```
$ guix environment --ad-hoc -m example-inferior.scm

Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at '
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... |
The following derivation will be built:
   /gnu/store/caqr64cryz42nh687mg8p7dnpjk3dhqn-profile.drv
The following profile hook will be built:
   /gnu/store/gkhfa4z16x4336pbi1ha7njgdpm680yf-guix-package-cache.drv
building path(s)
`/gnu/store/yd83jmcpivf6aqzbhx5qwv59fcv40wd9-guix-package-cache'
guix: repl: command not found
Try `guix --help' for more information.
Backtrace:
           1 (primitive-load "/gnu/store/fgxq3d1zix70k2acrrcg1yn9qj0?")
           0 (scm-error misc-error #f "~A ~S" ("inferior failed" #) #f)

ERROR: In procedure scm-error:
inferior failed "/gnu/store/2gln2fjds54kb97yxyz1mfa3hrrcrwlv-profile"
builder for
`/gnu/store/gkhfa4z16x4336pbi1ha7njgdpm680yf-guix-package-cache.drv' failed
with exit code 1
cannot build derivation
`/gnu/store/caqr64cryz42nh687mg8p7dnpjk3dhqn-profile.drv': 1 dependencies
couldn't be built
guix environment: error: exception thrown: #<condition
&store-protocol-error [message: "build of
`/gnu/store/caqr64cryz42nh687mg8p7dnpjk3dhqn-profile.drv' failed" status:
100] 52e43f0>
```

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 5:46 AM Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> Martin Flack <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
> > I'm getting an error trying the example here:
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Inferiors.html
>
> [...]
>
> > $ guix package -n -m example-inferior.scm
> > Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at '
> > https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
> > Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... |
> > substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://bayfront.guixsd.org'...
> > 100.0%
> > The following derivation will be built:
> >    /gnu/store/zxrm9a410iywcdm71crjbg2j4ggpvdbv-profile.drv
> > The following profile hook will be built:
> >    /gnu/store/gkhfa4z16x4336pbi1ha7njgdpm680yf-guix-package-cache.drv
> > guix package: error: exception thrown: #<condition &store-protocol-error
> > [message: "build of
> > `/gnu/store/zxrm9a410iywcdm71crjbg2j4ggpvdbv-profile.drv' failed" status:
> > 100] 1f80de0>
>
> Could you paste the file reported by:
>
>   guix build --log-file
> /gnu/store/zxrm9a410iywcdm71crjbg2j4ggpvdbv-profile.drv
>
> ?
>
> TIA,
> Ludo’.
>

-- 

Martin