Subject: [bug#34613] Acknowledgement ([PATCH] gnu: Add prometheus.)

From: Gábor Boskovits <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 13:21:35 +0100

Hello,

I have packaged prometheus.

There are some problems with it however:

The tarball has a vendor directory, containing sources of third party
go stuff. How do we deal with that?
(Should we package the stuff there, and link the sources into the tree?)

I have noticed a few possible problems:
https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus/blob/master/vendor/github.com/influxdata/influxdb/LICENSE_OF_DEPENDENCIES.md
indicates that glyphicons is possibly non-free, needs further
investigation.
https://github.com/prometheus/prometheus/tree/master/vendor/github.com/shurcooL/httpfs
does not copy the original LICENSE file from upstream, it is MIT
licensed. Should report a bug against prometheus.

Other preliminary license checks does not show further issues.

I would like to know if anyone could help me get this package into
shape, and point me towards a way to use inputs instead of linking the
source into the build tree. It would be nice, if we didn't have to
build these stuffs twice.
I am willing to do the work, but I need some pointer, as I am not into go.

Unbundling would also help to get a more exact license line.

Any help welcome.

Additionally:
1. this package misses a service,
2. only prometheus is built, the repository contains some other tools,
like promtool, those are not provided.

Best regards,
g_bor