Subject: Re: bug#34608: date +%+4C is unimplemented, contrary to POSIX

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 09:20:53 -0600

On 2/21/19 10:01 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Eric Blake wrote:
>> That used to be true, but now POSIX wants date to behave as if it uses
>> strftime:
>>
>> http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=466
> 
> Ah, I didn't know that. Is there a list of recent changes to the POSIX
> spec for strftime somewhere? I can look to see which of them have made
> their way into Gnulib nstrftime.

The best I can do is search austingroupbugs.net for all bugs containing
strftime, which pulls up a current total of 25 issues. Some are still
open or marked as rejected, some are editorial only, and some already
were applied in 2008, so the actual list of more recent changes is
smaller.  But reading through them, I think this is a fair summary:

1184: %C padding (for years below 1000, when minimum width is not
specified, it must be treated as width 2 with 0 padding)

1166: Need %OB (similar to %Ob) for nominative vs. genitive month names

954: %s for seconds since Epoch

739 (still not resolved): Whether %F implies plain %C or %+4C

772 (still open): Specifying %:::z and friends, but still at odds with
Finland wanting a way to express UTC+3 instead of UTC+03

472: details on %+C

466: date(1) should behave as if it uses strftime(3)

258: Need %Ob for nominative vs. genitive month names

-- 
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3226
Virtualization:  qemu.org | libvirt.org