Subject: Re: bug#34595: [PATCH] gnu: Add emacs-shroud

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 22:36:33 +0100

Hi,

> Shroud is a password manager written in Guile which uses GnuPG in the
> backend. This package is an Emacs interface to Shroud using the Buffers
> User Interface library.

You have previously already submitted a variant of this:

    https://issues.guix.info/issue/34364

Please don’t open more tickets for this but instead send updates to the
same ticket.  I’m closing this issue, because what you attached is not a
git formatted patch.

> +(define-public nly/emacs-shroud

We don’t use personal prefixes like “nly/” in Guix.

> +  (package
> +   (name "emacs-shroud")
> +   (version "ad5de6d")

A version string must be monotonically increasing over time.  Commit
hashes don’t do that, so we use (git-version last-release revision
commit) instead.

We prefer releases over arbitrary commits.  Since you are the developer,
could you please tell us what the difference is between this version and
the previous release?  Could you make a new release instead?

> +   (build-system emacs-build-system)
> +   (propagated-inputs
> +    `(("emacs-f" ,emacs-f)
> +      ("emacs-s" ,emacs-s)
> +      ("emacs-bui" ,emacs-bui)
> +      ("shroud" ,shroud)))
> +   (home-page "http://nly.info.tm:9001/emacs/shroud.el")
> +   (synopsis "Shroud (gpg) support for Emacs")

Why “(gpg)”?  It’s probably better to say “Shroud password manager
interface for Emacs”.

> +   (description
> +    "This package provides functions for working with shroud password
> manager.")

I’d not say “functions”.  How about

   This package provides an Emacs minor mode for working with the Shroud
   password manager.

Could you please send an updated patch?

--
Ricardo