Subject: bug#34591: 25.2; Color-mark a space in the second parts of an if(n)eq condition

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 22:03:10 +0100

Igor Galić <[email-masked]> writes:

> When editing a GNUmakefile, it would be very helpful if any space after
> the comma in the second condition was somehow marked:
>
>    ifeq ($(shell foo | bar && echo true), true)
>
> will never match. So it would be helpful if that could be signaled.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately got no response at
the time.)

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're referring to here, but if
the point is that "echo true" returns "true", and we're then checking
whether that's equal to " true" instead of "true", that doesn't seem to
be the case -- in my testing GNU make seems to just ignore spaces after
the comma.  Perhaps this depends on the make version?

Or do I misunderstand what the reported bug here is?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no