Subject: bug#34590: Effects of GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH and --load-path differ

From: Daniel Gerber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 11:38:19 +0100

Hi,

>From reading the doc on `guix environment`:

-L, --load-path=DIR    prepend DIR to the package module search 
 path

I would expect these to be exactly equivalent:

$ export GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH=; guix environment -L path ...
$ export GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH=path; guix environment ...

Yet they differ. With [email-masked] in the guix channel (a37bdf4) 
and [email-masked] in --and also [email-masked] only in-- 
/gnu/guix-local-packages/:

$ export GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH=/gnu/guix-local-packages/; guix 
environment --no-grafts -C [email-masked] --ad-hoc strace gdb -- ls 
/gnu/store/ |grep -o libuv-.*
libuv-1.26.0

$ export GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH=; guix environment -L 
/gnu/guix-local-packages/ --no-grafts -C [email-masked] --ad-hoc 
strace gdb -- ls /gnu/store/ |grep -o libuv-.*
libuv-1.24.0

Is this the intended behaviour?