Subject: bug#34566: closed (Re: bug#34566: 27.0.50; package-list-packages never finishes loading)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 03:02:02 +0000

Your bug report

#34566: 27.0.50; package-list-packages never finishes loading

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
34566: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34566
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#34566: 27.0.50; package-list-packages never finishes loading
From: "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 03:01:47 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Jason Lewis <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Yes, it appears it was that elpa.gnu.org was down. Sorry I didn't
> realise at the time.
>
> Please close this bug report.
>
> Jason
>
> Basil L. Contovounesios wrote on 20/2/19 2:47 am:
>> Jason Lewis <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>>> if you run package-list-packages, emacs never finishes loading.
>>> The status bar has "Loading" in it and if you press U, the messages
>>> window gets "Waiting for refresh to finish..."
>>>
>>> emacs -Q
>>> M-x package-list-packages
>>> press U
>> 
>> I think elpa.gnu.org was down for a few hours yesterday.  I suspect the
>> operation would have eventually timed out (that's what happened to me
>> when I invoked package-install-selected-packages on a new machine).
>> 
>> The repository seems to be back up at the moment; does it work for you
>> now?

Done, thanks.

-- 
Basil

Subject: 27.0.50; package-list-packages never finishes loading
From: Jason Lewis <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 16:32:11 +1100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

if you run package-list-packages, emacs never finishes loading.
The status bar has "Loading" in it and if you press U, the messages
window gets "Waiting for refresh to finish..."

emacs -Q
M-x package-list-packages
press U

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11)
 of 2019-02-17, unofficial emacs-snapshot build: http://emacs.ganneff.de/, git commit 6b7b85b60e76c5e867f77387e7c57d49f4c0a2cd built on runner-d40f5ff3-project-26-concurrent-0
Repository revision: 435ab9aee92fa54fef2a7dfef410953347a207e9
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11902000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)

Recent messages:
Checking 24 files in /usr/share/emacs/27.0.50/lisp/cedet...
Checking 57 files in /usr/share/emacs/27.0.50/lisp/calendar...
Checking 87 files in /usr/share/emacs/27.0.50/lisp/calc...
Checking 107 files in /usr/share/emacs/27.0.50/lisp/obsolete...
Checking for load-path shadows...done
Auto-saving...done
Mark set
Type "q" in help window to restore its previous buffer.
Saving file /home/jason/emacs-setmail.el...
Wrote /home/jason/emacs-setmail.el

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/27.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/27.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/27.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/27.0.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/builds/joerg/emacs/stretch_amd64/emacs-snapshot-20190216+emacs-26.1-4194-g6b7b85b60e=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall -fno-omit-frame-pointer'
 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB
NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF
XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM THREADS PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_AU.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(cl-extra cl-print thingatpt help-fns radix-tree smtpmail help-mode pp
shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired dired-loaddefs format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs time-date
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
mail-utils cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit gnutls network-stream
url-http mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr url-gw nsm rmc puny url-cache url-auth url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util mailcap epg finder-inf package easymenu epg-config url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib elec-pair mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 155051 36448)
 (symbols 48 9699 7)
 (strings 32 36978 1524)
 (string-bytes 1 963016)
 (vectors 16 14935)
 (vector-slots 8 181902 19196)
 (floats 8 33 116)
 (intervals 56 8269 171)
 (buffers 992 15))