Subject: bug#34565: ungoogled-chromium contains Widevine DRM

From: Jason Self <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 05:03:31 -0800

Jason Self wrote:
> I should probably add on that this position comes from my interaction
> with the FSF in 2010: When LibreWRT was founded in 2010 (before it
> later merged into libreCMC) we submitted a similar question to the
> FSF,as to if it was sufficient for the LibreWRT build scripts (which
> would be run by the person building the firmware image from source
> and would have completely automated, just like how someone might
> instruct Guix to build from source) to download Linux and then run
> the Linux-libre deblobbing scripts on it vs having the build scripts
> instead download tarballs that were already cleaned up. I can't seem
> to find the email from back then but the response was that we needed
> to use already cleaned-up tarballs, not ask the user to clean up the
> software afterward even if automated. So that was what we did. Guix
> should do something similar.

I haven't been able to find this conversation in my email. As it seems
to be directly relevant to Guix, since it seems to also be the exact
same method they use, I have emailed the FSF asking if they can locate
this in their ticketing system and to re-send the conversation to me.
More to come.