Subject: bug#34565: ungoogled-chromium contains Widevine DRM

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 00:42:19 -0500

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 03:44:17PM +0100, Julien Lepiller wrote:
> So I've downloaded the source tarball with `guix build -S chromium`
> and here's what I found in it:

[...]

Thanks for taking a look, Julien!

We need to find out if Widevine DRM is actually included in the Guix
ungoogled-chromium package or not.

Obviously the intent was to not include it, and it does not work in
practice. Widevine videos do not play and there is no prompt to install
or enable DRM, unlike in some other browsers that use DRM.

I think the next steps for this subject are to first, in general, figure
out where Widevine comes from, and then, more specifically, decide what
to do about the files you mentioned. 

As I mentioned already, other distros seem to get Widevine by extracting
its binary from Chrome, even when using it for Chromium. It seems
reasonable to assume that if Widevine were included in Chromium they
would not be downloading a whole 'nother browser for that one component.

As for the specific files listed by Julien, they may be harmless, or
not, we should figure out what they do and if they need to be removed.