Subject: Re: bug#34565: ungoogled-chromium contains Widevine DRM

From: Jason Self <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 21:35:47 -0800

Leo Famulari wrote:
> To clarify this general point about Guix for anyone who is reading
> along, as a matter of policy the end user does not receive non-free
> source code from Guix.

Right; the source is downloaded from commondatastorage.googleapis.com
but that is a technicality. What I'm saying is that the recipe should
be updated to cause it to download an already-cleaned up version
directly from Guix (it could be hosted somewhere on gnu.org for example
but exactly where can be up for negotiation) and that this excuse of
"they're getting it elsewhere" shouldn't be usable as an excuse to
sidestep the FSDG. It's still causing the user to download the software
due to the recipes provided by Guix.

> The tools provided by Guix to access source code only return source
> code that is freely licensed. If the sources have to be modified to
> ensure this, the unodified source code is not provided to the user. 

It's still being downloaded into their computer and then being cleaned
up after the fact. If there weren't freedom problems with it there
wouldn't be a need for a clean-up program (ungoogled-chromium in this
case) to be running -- as a process on the user's computer -- to do
this.

And in https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.
html we have:

"For instance, a free system distribution must not contain browsers that implement EME, the browser functionality designed to load DRM modules."

So that should make it quite clear.