Subject: bug#34531: closed (Re: bug#34531: Guix profile fails on Overdrive 1000)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2019 11:29:02 +0000

Your bug report

#34531: Guix profile fails on Overdrive 1000

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
34531: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34531
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#34531: Guix profile fails on Overdrive 1000
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Cc: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2019 13:28:44 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Before closing the bug, I would still like to ask whether there is a way
>> of getting around the need for python.
>
> Guix pull needs “guile-git”, and “guile-git” needs “libgit2”, which
> needs “python-wrapper”.  To remove the need for Python in “guix pull” we
> would need to build libgit2 without Python.  I don’t know if anyone has
> investigated whether this can be done.

Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I've started on implementing a replacement test generator, see attachment.
>
> Usage is exactly the same as the original generate.py.

I gather this bug was fixed with commit
03fb5ff6ae01a680c786d9ee148839543c519411.  Closing!

Ludo’.

Subject: Guix profile fails on Overdrive 1000
From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 21:05:52 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

on a newly installed Overdrive 1000 machine with 8 GB of memory, I am trying
   guix pull -n

This results in
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Building from this channel:
  guix      https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git	d0d207c
The following derivations will be built:
   /gnu/store/qvljgqnsynw113h1062nws9i2zfcz15y-compute-guix-derivation.drv
   /gnu/store/rj824ibc8nhhl1j2h25sgw4lyxkxjggc-gdb-8.2.drv
...
   /gnu/store/w1jw283cdf6n03qnccsrvxgzy41z0hps-guile-gcrypt-0.1.0.drv
building /gnu/store/wy37294j2rb6fg5fgpybki28vq60jz94-python-minimal-3.6.5.drv...
starting phase `set-SOURCE-DATE-EPOCH'
...

That a build of something starts although the "-n" flag is specified seems
to be a first bug.

Then, during the test phase, the build is killed since the machine runs out
of memory. I also tried to pass "--cores=1" to "guix build", but this
parameter is not honoured: "top" shows that all four cores are running.
This might be a second bug.

In any case, it becomes impossible to upgrade with the usual mechanism,
which is a rather serious bug.

My guix version:
   $ guix --version
guix (GNU Guix) 0.15.0-8.71a78ba

There should be a number of possible solutions:
- Try to not depend on python for such basic operations (preferable; where
  does this dependency come from anyway?)
- Disable the tests in a bootstrapping python that is used here.
- Disable only tests requiring a lot of memory.
- Update python to a newer version.

What do you think we should try?

Andreas

PS: I am still not convinced that the system is in a coherent state, so it
would be interesting if someone could confirm this bug. For instance, I
observe the following:

$ guix package -i hello -n
guix package: warning: Your Guix installation is 9 days old.
guix package: warning: Consider running 'guix pull' followed by
'guix package -u' to get up-to-date packages and security updates.

The following package would be installed:
   hello	2.10	/gnu/store/5hzc1q803ksynz19sr8ymvgzf4v7anzk-hello-2.10

The following derivations would be built:
   /gnu/store/1krpkl0axqyn2lpxp3ick3s0p2z5qrnv-profile.drv
   /gnu/store/gfxnqasw81kxjjvfmv5i54rbvlpkd8n1-mkfontdir-1.0.7.tar.bz2.drv
   /gnu/store/n0fgxl55ni7pmw03p8aqaamqvj31ym0l-libfontenc-1.1.3.tar.bz2.drv
   /gnu/store/4c1jfinnpjrxnx7grpwmwh3s1b64b8bc-libfontenc-1.1.3.drv
   /gnu/store/x38kid3sf3zw15rlwl375kp0ng1iz8m3-mkfontscale-1.1.3.tar.bz2.drv
   /gnu/store/9fb2w29gyfq6hsw064l89vb29jd0jry4-mkfontscale-1.1.3.drv
   /gnu/store/iwi0648clfzpp084qic303glv9cp9qwy-module-import-compiled.drv
   /gnu/store/lz4psj250m4xh4mpvkd2qchbs9vb9f19-mkfontdir-1.0.7.drv
   /gnu/store/w11j7chynk58lzk40agd37ii32rc7d6c-fonts-dir.drv
   /gnu/store/rj824ibc8nhhl1j2h25sgw4lyxkxjggc-gdb-8.2.drv
   /gnu/store/7g3ybwsd664941qz7jp2c3rcxaxm2nij-valgrind-3.13.0.drv
   /gnu/store/swx5jipn1id1qfw60hh1f7icxfflfx6s-scons-python2-3.0.1.drv
   /gnu/store/q98m948gmibnccjjdbw4s80vkn5ywmza-boost-1.66.0.drv
   /gnu/store/i1a2f33p08brilpkdn35rm5jgng2bnrn-swig-3.0.12.drv
   /gnu/store/m8y9k0zqkq6sa0lv9714ql9f4m36pmrh-serf-1.3.9.drv
   /gnu/store/sazsmami6651dkgj51ij53x0bx9hl46x-lz4-1.8.1.2.drv
   /gnu/store/3g8plb0fvnblmb7ldr4ikmlpv44k0xzp-libxslt-1.1.32.drv
   /gnu/store/4nms2l8g8n770harl3f9qzizp0amyqvz-xcb-proto-1.13.drv
   /gnu/store/wy37294j2rb6fg5fgpybki28vq60jz94-python-minimal-3.6.5.drv
   /gnu/store/zyq4z95r0afywwn9y6283irikgx72885-python-minimal-wrapper-3.6.5.drv
   /gnu/store/68bycryid94b46kw9kp1mlmgc0s3y8k6-libxrender-0.9.10.drv
   /gnu/store/wgxbfymwcscqmsqn5cbv7sskd9racsr9-libxft-2.3.2.drv
   /gnu/store/7jl0aja7msxhnm39x7vbz0r7lxfrk0xh-python-3.6.5.drv
   /gnu/store/xmhsaqhlp6fmxny50vs3if8jlv0cclbi-python-wrapper-3.6.5.drv
   /gnu/store/jbdy9za2xfxqg65c27lwic1psnz2kikg-ghostscript-9.23.drv
   /gnu/store/g9i8l4dnp7a6pr1rz4ly2apyp7cxcmz7-openldap-2.4.46.drv
   /gnu/store/jvj8p7qc1y1f15yd34ahysdpkl2120kn-groff-1.22.3.drv
   /gnu/store/220nl6licli726kdrvzw8k3j6qak5cq5-libx11-1.6.5.drv
   /gnu/store/gnijgdfa363n5jc2qk9wn54x12787yvl-curl-7.59.0.drv
   /gnu/store/i3bvnpnjhj6y8d2kzksw6f6gpfbadwl0-libxext-1.3.3.drv
   /gnu/store/jf7dxdv6dsrkr75b68whz7nnyss485js-tk-8.6.8.drv
   /gnu/store/jga9yslz6zafqchv4mr5hg7106s0lhsx-libxcb-1.13.drv
   /gnu/store/lkwynhkq6a4a242i17qbxcx5khkng3wc-asciidoc-8.6.10.drv
   /gnu/store/slj73h4y23gdwm6znclijsxi3cggdd57-xmlto-0.0.28.drv
   /gnu/store/wn577xbf7fc70kcczmrcn03b0615mlpl-python2-2.7.14.drv
   /gnu/store/x2xbfpl32ni1lbq5r515qqh45qsyalri-subversion-1.10.2.drv
   /gnu/store/h9v84xaab30a6vqg7ni4g74fwslzz1f2-git-2.19.2.drv
   /gnu/store/jrk6szd0b8glb69iqs8kwsr74d47ck78-guile-gdbm-ffi-20120209.fa1d5b6-checkout.drv
   /gnu/store/6zgzgmmqa5ghqljwslmsh7xcmz3rckcy-guile-gdbm-ffi-20120209.tar.xz.drv
   /gnu/store/g0103wbwhzgv716xn7x2pyzhp0xmypbm-module-import.drv
   /gnu/store/nhy3343z8q23f20im1jm8cr0dvax8m3n-module-import-compiled.drv
   /gnu/store/81jxzs3h1ryr1jmnzlazqn2i1qswxpxn-module-import-compiled.drv
   /gnu/store/8va28xxwi4qidaq5gha55sxwwr2hwsbi-guile-gdbm-ffi-20120209.fa1d5b6.drv
   /gnu/store/h64z34a0g2jy57fbfrmdrykfjqsm8ny4-module-import.drv
   /gnu/store/cmavl4ahvx5yi1klmn1dmjc004njyi5h-ca-certificate-bundle.drv
   /gnu/store/73vrp31a5fg5zgwyb4808dk7g5idq0n0-bash-static-4.4.19.drv
   /gnu/store/rybkx8wn2czlbyhqf2hrxa4qjmrm5hkn-glibc-2.27.tar.xz.drv
   /gnu/store/2ww5cyacdml0wqmpmpryyamvay1ryqfv-glibc-2.27.drv
   /gnu/store/9mf0p34cm53g3l8li2fikmy4ns1f4jfm-linux-libre-headers-4.14.26.drv
   /gnu/store/hwc4xr8jx4g4im96rsm5h3fbmr3b5gfv-gzip-1.9.drv
   /gnu/store/vjc17j34rl0cvnbj547gk1hn1kxx4jdh-module-import-compiled.drv
   /gnu/store/0mppv29wf1wf02hbrsi1i9y3rxj4wg99-info-dir.drv
   /gnu/store/7vs1h0b02fzzf02bnmk23lw2sibfhnjy-glibc-utf8-locales-2.27.drv
   /gnu/store/v1sz6x6z0nliqqzhvn5956gyq9qsw9k3-manual-database.drv
   /gnu/store/zci2ggar92r1zfbfx5rb9klpzjlr6qg0-module-import-compiled.drv

This is an awful lot of unrelated packages required to build hello!