Subject: Re: bug#34531: Guix profile fails on Overdrive 1000

From: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 09:27:28 +0100

Hello Marius,

thanks a lot for your quick and helpful reply!

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 09:49:10PM +0100, Marius Bakke wrote:
> The Python contained within this Guix snapshot has a known bug that
> makes it leak memory on newer kernels.  The Guix commit that works
> around it is 589aca1c183ef1dfdef54d40fdd6a258bbcd39d0.

okay, so the main problem is fixed then.

> One thing you could try is bootstrap a Guix checkout through the usual
> mechanisms (./bootstrap; ./configure; etc), using packages from the host
> system if necessary.

The host system is Guix, so this is complicated... But I realise that
there is also a guix-0.16.0 lying around, and with this I get beyond the
python point.

Before closing the bug, I would still like to ask whether there is a way
of getting around the need for python. And why "guix pull -n" builds
such a large number of packages, while one would expect it to just print
a number of packages to be built. But maybe this is also solved in a
later version already.

Andreas