Subject: bug#34529: closed (Re: bug#34529: C-x b became unusable (ido, recentf, tramp))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 08:13:02 +0000

Your bug report

#34529: C-x b became unusable (ido, recentf, tramp)

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
34529: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=34529
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#34529: C-x b became unusable (ido, recentf, tramp)
From: Felicián Németh <[email-masked]>
To: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2019 09:12:16 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Michael,

> The problem seems to be rather ido. Could you pls check bug#24980? It
> sounds similar to your problem, and it was solved in Emacs 26.1. Btw,
> which Emacs version are you running?

I bumped into the problem with Emacs 25.1, but I verified git head
misbehaves with the part of the problem that I understood in my original
report.  However, I forgot to check my recipe to insert a relative path
into recentf-save-file is still valid for the latest Emacs.  It is not,
so I close this report.

Sorry for wasting your time,
Felicián

Subject: C-x b became unusable (ido, recentf, tramp)
From: Felicián Németh <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 17:58:22 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I had a problem, which can be reproduced to some extent with the
following snippet.  (emacs -Q -l /tmp/bug.el)

   (require 'recentf)
   (setq recentf-save-file "/tmp/bug-recentf")
   (setq recentf-list '("/ssh:localhost#2222:~/a.txt"))
   (setq ido-use-virtual-buffers t)
   (setq ido-save-directory-list-file "/tmp/bug-ido.last")
   (recentf-save-list)
   (ido-mode t)
   (ido-switch-buffer) ; Simulating C-x b

However, that doesn't explain how that entry ended up in my
recentf-save-file.  I'm guessing I opened many tramp files in a
virtual machine, and after I had halted the virtual machine,
emacs wanted to convert the file names to absolute paths.
Strangely,
(get-file-buffer "/ssh:localhost#2222:~/a.txt") and
(expand-file-name "/ssh:localhost#2222:~/a.txt") fail, but
evaluating them the second time, they succeed,  but
expand-file-name returns a wrong value, i.e,

(expand-file-name "/ssh:localhost#2222:~/a.txt")
   =>  error
(expand-file-name "/ssh:localhost#2222:~/a.txt")
   =>  "/ssh:localhost#2222:~/a.txt"

"emacs -Q -l /tmp/bug.el" reproduces the problem with version
25.1.1 and a recent 27.0.50 as well, but I think it was former
who originally wrote the problematic entry into the
recent-save-file.

Thank you.