Subject: bug#34525: replace-regexp missing some matches

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 18:58:50 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 20:02:45 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 17:07:22 +0000
> > Cc: Daniel Lopez <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>

> > I think there's some unwanted interaction between redisplay, the syntax
> > functionality (in particular, the syntax-table text property), and the
> > regexp machinery.

> If you enlarge the dimensions of the window and/or decrease the size
> of the font, so that most or all of the text is visible at once, does
> that affect the number of matches found?

It appears not to.  I reduced the font size from 11 to 6, and enlarged
the frame to compensate, giving a window displaying 95 lines.

C-u M-% Bitmap -> SharedBitmap, on pressing <space>s, visibly skipped
lazily highlighted occurrences of Bitmap.  In the end, just 6 matches
(out of 12) got replaced.

Just as a matter of interest, my initial observations were on a Linux
virtual terminal (with a fixed window size of 65 lines), the above was
in X-Windows.

It would seem there is more to it than redisplay.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).