Subject: bug#34520: delete-matching-lines should report how many lines it deleted

From: Marcin Borkowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 07:06:05 +0100

On 2019-02-18, at 01:35, 積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> delete-matching-lines is an alias for ‘flush-lines’ in ‘replace.el’.
>
> It works great... or does it? Can't often tell. That's because well,
> if there are matching lines off the screen, you won't really know, so
> you have to go down there to have a look... and well, need eagle eyes
> often too depending on the pattern and how many similar lines there
> still are.
>
> Got an idea!: Simply keep a count of how many lines were deleted, and
> report that in the minibuffer, if using interactively.

I like this a lot.  I use delete-matching-lines (and
delete-non-matching-lines) a lot, both would be greatly enhanced with
such a feature.

Best,

-- 
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl