Subject: bug#34516: Multi-monitor frame sets

From: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 15:00:39 +0000

On Mon 25 Feb 2019, martin rudalics wrote:

>> Please explain what you mean here with an example, as what you have
>> written makes no sense.
>
> Since I don't use multiple monitors it might not make sense indeed.
> AFAIK usually only the primary monitor shows a taskbar, dock, or
> panel.  Whether these can be shown on or moved to secondary monitors
> is system dependent.  Hence IMO showing a frame on a secondary monitor
> should pessimistically assume that a non-workarea object can appear
> there even if 'display-monitor-attributes-list' says otherwise.  If
> you are sure that this may not happen, just disregard what I said.

The workarea should always be the same size or smaller than the geometry
on each monitor, and this information (while system dependent) should
always be accurate when display-monitor-attributes-list is called.

However, it is entirely possible that the user reconfigures the taskbar,
dock panel etc. between a call to display-monitor-attributes-list and
using the information it returns.

   AndyM