Subject: Re: bug#34513: display-line-numbers in term mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 20:33:27 +0300

> From: Ergus <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Thu 01 Jan 1970 01:00:00 AM CET
> > Window width changes are unrelated to line numbers, right?
> >
> > Is window-size-change-functions what you want?
> 
> Yes they are unrelated, but the issue is the same...

No, the issue is not the same.  When a window is resized, it is
completely redrawn, and as part of that the line numbers are
recalculated and redisplayed.  That's because line-number display is
an inherent part of redisplay.

> Actually on a windows resize the term-line width is not updated
> either. So the new outputs after that assume the same window width. The
> line-number-width is just another side of the same problem where the
> line-width is not recalculated..
> 
> On window increase size the issue is not so annoying (it is not right,
> but it works) but on window decrease size (or line-number-width
> increase) it is worth because the lines adds a \ and break.
> 
> So a right fix maybe should recalculate the line-width more dynamically
> (for example when inserting RET in term mode)

So is window-size-change-functions what you need to use to hook into
the size changes?