Subject: bug#34513: Fwd: Re: bug#34513: display-line-numbers in term mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 20:15:13 +0200

> Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 18:46:56 +0100
> From: Ergus <[email-masked]>
> 
> Yes I see the limitations, specially when the
> (line-number-display-width) changes due to user interaction. The problem
> is that for a real fix maybe it needs a hook like
> line-number-display-width-change (or equivalent) where to add actions, I
> suppose there are potentially other modes with same issue.

There's no such hook (and providing it would be very hard and largely
useless, as I explained in the past).  Modes which need such
adjustments can use window-scroll-functions and/or
pre-redisplay-functions.  You can see an example in tabulated-list.el.

> The simplest to do (in my opinion) is to make the numbers not available
> at all in term mode and avoid display-line-numbers to be enabled in term
> mode.

Based on prior experience, I very much doubt that this solution will
be accepted by the community.  It's better to allow turning on line
numbers in this mode as well.