Subject: Fwd: Re: bug#34513: display-line-numbers in term mode

From: Ergus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 18:46:56 +0100

Yes I see the limitations, specially when the
(line-number-display-width) changes due to user interaction. The problem
is that for a real fix maybe it needs a hook like
line-number-display-width-change (or equivalent) where to add actions, I
suppose there are potentially other modes with same issue. But I think
this is a bit overkill because it will require a redraw and the previous
lines will be modified.

The simplest to do (in my opinion) is to make the numbers not available
at all in term mode and avoid display-line-numbers to be enabled in term
mode. It will keep both the display-line-numbers and term.el
implementations simpler. If a user really needs the numbers in the
future then we can consider other solutions. But it makes not too much
sense actually to have the line numbers in term mode.

My report was because I faced the existent issue by default and it
required an action in my config to avoid exposing it, not because
I wanted the numbers.

But again, you have much much more experience on this and a better
opinion about what should be there or not.