Subject: bug#34513: display-line-numbers in term mode

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 12:21:26 -0500

>> How 'bout display-line-numbers-width or display-line-numbers-current-width?
> I think I considered those at the time, but found them not descriptive
> enough.

And how 'bout now?

> And please remember that originally the code was entirely in C, so
> there was no "package name" to use as prefix.

Oh, of course.  But I think in the current context, it would be good to
bring that variable into the "display-line-numbers" prefix.

At first, TAB completion gave me the impression that there was simply no
way to know from Elisp the actual width, because the list of completions
seemed long enough to have the appearance of exhaustiveness.

>> >> -	   (ncols (/ window-width font-width)))
>> >> +	   (ncols (- (/ window-width font-width) (line-number-display-width))))
>> > I think you want (line-number-display-width 'columns), since this
>> > wants the canonical column units, right?
>> Could be, I don't know.  I don't know that all callers of
>> window-max-chars-per-line want that either.
> I hope someone does know.

So do I.  Martin maybe?

        Stefan